Skip to main content

The First Day of May...

Today is the first day of May, 2008. And what a magical month May is!  It has a definite feel, much like October and December.  Too many months simply occupy space, coming and going with little to say.  But May is special.

May feels like sunshine.  And vacation.  And preparing for school to be over.  And the first glimpses of the beach.  And sumer romance.  And music festivals outdoors.  And frisbee in the park.  And weddings.

May feels good.  Even in a place like Aspen, where May tends to be muddy, it is magical.  Everyone is in shorts.  People are tuning their bicycles and stowing their skis. The season is over and trips and vacation are around the corner.  I loved May in the mountains.  The sky was so blue and the weather was so welcome.  The cold is finally pushed away.  Highs in the 70's and low 80's.  Air so clean and pure it all but made you high.  What a glorious month.

Everything seems possible in May.  And everyone seems excited in May.  The last of the pollen has been washed away.  All the trees have bloomed.  Everywhere you look is green and lush.  All the bad things seemed to have gone the way of the cold.  To Australia!  Let them have our problems down under.  For we have May.  We have spring.  And we are going to love every blessed moment of it..........

Comments

Popular Posts

Thoughts on Phish

  The first time I heard about Phish was my senior year at Episcopal back in 1992. At that time in music history, grunge was just beginning to explode on the scene. Pearl Jam was about all we listened to. But I always kept time for my jam bands. I had already seen The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers Band, Widespread Panic and many others. CDs were still the way we listened to music, but cassette tapes were still around and were what you got all your bootlegs on. The internet didn't exist, or at least not to the public. Hearing about new bands was largely done by word of mouth. And that's how I heard about Phish. My first taste of Phish was their album "Lawnboy." I remember being impressed with the musicianship. I thought there was some Zappa-esque arrangements going on, as the music seemed to dart in crazy tangents. I also remember seeing a picture of the band and I thought they looked like a bunch of Trekky nerds. They definitely didn't look like MTV material,...

From Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"

"It is not advisable to venture unsolicited opinions.  You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
  At some point recently, the kids and I were telling each other stories. I can ’ t remember who went first, but Wyatt and Pepper each told their stories amid interruptions and corrections and suggestions. Let’s say for the sake of argument that Briar wasn’t talking yet, so it became my turn. Rather than the usual stories of kingdoms and unicorns and the garden variety stuff I usually went for, I decided to pull from my memory of past events. The kids listened in amazement, not really understanding  what I was talking about. The story was a hit. And I think I’ll share it with you now. It was the summer of 1993. I had finished my first year of college at The College of Charleston. At the end of summer, I would be transferring to NC State. I enjoyed College of Charleston very much. I loved the 9-to-1 girl-to-guy ratio. It had been a great year. But I had spent most weekends driving up and back from Raleigh to see my girlfriend Marcia. At some point during the year, I had decided...

Lonely Ole Christmas...

I can't help but feel pains of nostalgia during the holiday season.  I have had some amazing Christmas holidays over the years.  I find myself thinking of my EHS days, in particular.  We would have crushing exams right before we left for break.  And my first year, we were still very much running under the old "rat" system that the school was founded on.  The day we were leaving for home, all the new boys on 2nd McGuire had to go sing Christmas carols to all the seniors on the hall, which basically meant that we had to walk into several lion's dens.  But more memorable than that was the fact that I was going home to see Alice.  We had met over Thanksgiving break, and in one short month I had fallen in love for the first time.  This was the first girl I had ever said "I love you" to.  We had an amazing break together.  I still have a picture of us together during those few weeks together and I cherish that picture like few others. Another EHS Christmas break w...

Malkovich

Malkovich malkovich.  Malkovich, malkovich?  Malkovich malkovich malkovich. Malkovich malkovich, "Malkovich, malkovich malkovich malkovich."  Malkovich.  Malkovich malkovich: malkovich. Malkovich... malkovich, malkovich.  Malkovich!!!